This trip is organized as a part of the All Russia Science Festival programme dedicated to EU-Russia Science Year has been announced for 2014. The Festival will be in October 10-12, but the programme includes different events during the whole year, also the last week of September will be a study trip for EUSJA members to visit some research centers of Russia, to meet Russian scientists and science journalists. The trip is organized by All Russia Science Festival team, Lomonosov Moscow State University and other research centers, Russian association of Science Writers and Journalists.
The detailed programme will be sent out later. But here are the research centers we shall visit for sure. These are:
– Lomonosov Moscow State University which will celebrate its 260 anniversary in 2015 – to visit one of the most powerful supercomputer center of Europe, to learn about university space satellites including the satellite “Lomonosov” ready for launch, to lean about the new projects in nanotechnology, biomedicine and other researches in collaboration with European science centers, to see the new campus of Moscow University under construction, to find out the history of Russian universities and science and so on;
– Joint Institute for Nuclear Research in Dubna – to visit the labs which are the part of European mega science, to learn about the synthesis of new chemical elements in JINR, to see a new collider NICA under construction (so called “younger sister of LHC”);
– Institute for Space Researches of RAS (Russian Academy of Sciences) – to learn about the new studies of Mars and Moon, coming launches of space vehicles in collaboration with ESA, the history of Russian space programmes;
– Institute for Biomedical Problems of RAS – to learn about international experiments for Mars (e.g. experiment “Mars-500” – simulation of the flight to Mars), special trainings for the astronauts and so on;
– Vavilov Institute of General Genetics of RAS – we shall visit some very interesting labs and learn about the new researches of Russian geneticists (genetic identification, genographic project etc), we shall visit also Nicolai Vavilov Museum, the outstanding scientist who was imprisoned and killed as “enemy of the people” – to learn about the repressions in science.
There are some other visits to be confirmed, for example, we want to show you the Space Mission Control situated in Korolev, a city named after Sergei Korolev, the chief designer of the first space rockets. The Space Mission Control is a place to watch the launchings of space ships, to direct the flight of the International Space Station. We are planning also the bus tour through the city of Moscow, the discussion with Russian members of EUSJA and with the students studying in the new programme of science journalism in Lomonosov University.
The conditions as following: arrival at September 23, evening of 23-th – reception, the days of 24, 25, 26 and half day of 27-th – the programme of the trip. The trip will end on Saturday September 27 after the lunch. As usual with EUSJA trips, the journalists have to take care of their flights. The organizers will cover 4 night hotel accommodation, meal, transfers during the programme.
We invite up to 25 EUSJA members. The deadline for applications is May 31
. Applications must be sent via national associations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write in a body of a letter the list of your nominees (name, media, e-mail, for free lancer – which media works for), and attach the application forms. You may change your ranking, add or cancel the applications before the deadline, so do not wait till the last day please.
We have to organize the visa invitations what takes a long time (about a month when all the papers are collected n the Ministry of Foreign Affairs), so please ask your applicants to fill in the attached form punctually. The visa invitations will be sent via e-mail and then – via postal mail as some consulates ask the origin of the invitation. So it is very important to mention a relevant postal address.
Application form for EUSJA study trip to Russia:
September 23-27. Applications must be sent via national association to email@example.com.
Deadline – May 31.
1. Name and surname (according passport) –
2. Country of residence –
3. Nationality –
4. Media –
5. Address of employer –
6. Position –
7. Home postal address –
8. Telephone and fax –
9. E-mail –
10. Passport N –
11. City of Consulate (where you will apply for visa) –
12. scan of the 1-st page of passport (scan sent via e-mail) –
Please write also a full postal address (if this differs!) which our officers will use to send you
the visa invitation.